Background

February 22, 2012

Crappy to Happy

So, I'm a "stay at home" mom.  I love my job.  But, I have to admit that every once in a while, I have a day where I wish I had a job.  I know for sure it would have been a better day working for someone, than being at home.

Yesterday was one of those days.

We've had the gunk going through the family.  You know, that super yucky cold where you wake up with your eyes glued shut, and you can hear it in your cough and you can't sleep because you just can't breath!  Well, I try to teach my kids to share, and they did.  It's gone through each of them, working it's way up to me, I'm sure.

So, my 2 year old, Eden, has been wanting me to just hold her all day.  That, in itself, isn't bad, I would love to do that all day, if I didn't have 3 other kids and a house and husband to attend to.  It just makes for a rough day (or days).  Not only physically, but emotionally.  I know she doesn't feel well, and I feel bad that I can't just hold her all day.  I hold her for a while, but her down for a while, repeat, repeat.  Anyway, yesterday Van decided he wanted the same thing.  He's been sick for a few days (which means he sleeps like crap, which means I'm super tired!).  So, he wanted me to hold him all day too.  Needless to say, my arms are going to be super ripped!  Well, he'd cry if I did and cry if I didn't.  So, I took him to the doctor.  Yup... RSV.  (Or, as my husband calls it, RSVP!  Hee hee!)  But, not like hospitalization RSV, just super gunky, ear infected, needs antibiotics RSV.  So, we come home to my husband proclaiming he's going out with several co workers for steak.  Ok.  Well, I decided that I was going to make a dinner that my mom used to make when we were little and I loved.  Lentil burgers.  Basically made of lentils, brown rice, wheat bread and wheat germ.  Super healthy, but good.  If you're a mom, I'm sure you can guess... yep, none of the kids liked them.  Good heavens, if you could hear their moans and groans about having to take one courtesy bite!!!  So, mac and cheese was dinner #2.

Tub time next (which I'm not a fan of... I like clean kids, but after a day like yesterday, I like sleeping kids better!)  Then, I got the opportunity (Brian came home) to go get Van's prescription.  Oh, and you'd better believe I took advantage!  I just strolled around the store, totally mindlessly for about an hour.  It was nice.  I came home and helped Farrah with her spelling homework.  I know it doesn't sound like this day was that bad, but like I said, physically and emotionally, it was!  There's a lot I've left out.  Anyway, I'm telling Farrah (my 6 year old) her spelling words and at the end, she hands me a little piece of paper that says, "I love you!"  Isn't it funny how in life sometimes just the simplest thing can turn things around?  I've been thinking, and a lot of times, sometimes the littlest thing can just be our attitudes.  In the January Ensign, President Monson talked about the ABC's of having an abundant life.  A for attitude, B for believe in yourself and C for courage.  To quote him he said, "Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'"

Here's to tomorrows....


2 comments:

  1. I love that quote! It's been on my wall for years. Way to be a great mom :)

    ReplyDelete